Join 'In Clean Air'

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Running in the Snow!!

Here we go again. The locals are getting carried away with the prospect of a large winter weather system approaching from the Gulf. Apparently Boone and the surround area is scheduled to receive up to 10 inches of snow in the near future.

I have been trained through experience to expect about half of what they call for when the hysteria hits... and to look for twice as much when they think nothing of an approaching system... not that I am a smarty pants or anything:)

So, now that the post-marathon non-running grace period has elapsed (first run last night... easy 4 miles) it is time to get busy and get moving. This means running in the snow, in a storm!!! I just love the solitude of running through large flakes dumping down onto the road. The cars have abandoned the area, the deer are off somewhere too... nothing out there but white flakes, white puffs of breathe and the clarity of the mind. Looks like a nice 10 miler is waiting to be run!!

6 comments:

  1. Agreed! I love how everything is so QUIET when it snows. I'm really looking forward to some cold weather running over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10" of snow! wow! damascus is supposed to get 5-7. I'm a little freaked out because I'm supposed to meet up with a big bunch of my running friends and run a 20 miler on the AT/iron mtn trail on saturday! ( a couple of them are from Todd, NC and one from Jefferson) So while I want it to snow.. here is hoping it's not like half a foot and more like an inch or 2!! I want to be able make the drive to grayson highlands where we are meeting to start!

    I hope you have an awesome run in Boone!! If it does dump 10 inches of snow.. maybe I should just go to Sugar instead and go skiing!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thought of that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most recent forecast calls for up to 20 inches by Saturday night...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing better than running in the snow and what it does to numb all the other usual sounds around. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had about 15 inches of snow - just north of Asheville. No electricity for 24 hours, too. I went running (and I use the term loosely) with my son yesterday...Awesome! First snowball-fight-while-running!

    Glad to hear you're back at it. Me, too:-)

    ReplyDelete

Want to Clean the Air? Post a Comment!